Dominick's Progress Report

Monday, June 12, 2006

A speech lesson

Here is something interesting I learned from last week's speech session. I asked Monica about Dominick dropping or substituting letters in words and whether that was normal. She said it's actually fairly normal, and she'd rather get him saying more words and worry about Dom's articulation later if it doesn't resolve itself. What's interesting is why he's substituting as he is. If you concentrate when you say a word, you notice that the sounds are made in different parts of the mouth. Some, like t, d, and b, come from up front, while others, like k, are made farther back. For someone who is just learning to talk, it's much easier to combine sounds that are made in the same area. That's what is happening when Dominick says "dat" instead of cat. Combinations of consonants are difficult, too, hence story becomes "so-ee" and truck becomes "guck." (But then so does duck. And don't ask me why Dom can say the m in the middle of mommy but not at the beginning. By the way, he's using "ommy" quite a bit. He came looking for me the other day, calling it out several times. And when I was gone the other night, Mike told me Dom said "ommy" every time a car went by. Awww!)

All this aside, Monica said that Dom's progress is excellent, especially in such a short time. She's seen kids for a very long time who have barely improved, so she said he is doing great. Even during our sessions, he's spontaneously saying words on a regular basis. He usually gets quieter toward the end, though that may be because we're working on some word cards, which are not his favorite activity.

I wish I could post sound recordings so you can hear Dom counting. It's hilarious. He counts from one to ten, and usually by about six he starts getting louder and less articulate. He likes to count along when I'm doing the brushing technique. Everything is done in tens, so it's perfect.

Tomorrow we start OT again for real. I will let you know how it goes. With any luck there won't be too much frantic crying involved.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting observations about Dom's speech, Kelly. Both consonants and vowels are said in the front, middle, and back of the vocal tract. Both 'g' and 'o' are back sounds, so 'go' should be easy for Dom to say. 'k' is also a back consonant, but 'ae' is a front vowel, so 'cat' may be harder for him to say. But 'car' should be easier, since the 'a' sound is more back than 'ae'.

I don't get why he can say 'daddy' but not 'mommy.' Maybe it's because 'd' is alveolar, or front, and 'ae' is front as well, whereas he would have to go from 'm' which is bilabial, or with 2 lips, to the 'a' sound, which is back. So he just doesn't mess with the movement and finds sounds contiguous to each other easier to say in sequence. Capiche?

Or maybe not....

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Additional observation: 'dat' for 'cat' makes some sense, as the 'd' sound is alveolar, or front, and so is the 'ae' sound. But 'cat' begins with a 'k' sound, which is velar, or at the back of the mouth. So it's harder for Dom to say 'cat' than 'dat'.

Consonant combinations can be difficult. They come later in a child's development. Both 's' and 't' are alveolar, or at the front, and in sequence. He reduces the two close sounds to one. He might just as well have said 'tory.' I bet he can't say 'string'!

Think about 'guck' for a moment.
The 'g' sound is a back consonant, made in the same place as the 'k' sound but with voicing. The 'uh' vowel is a mid-vowel, known as the schwa, the most common of all vowel sounds in the language. Since it's not front and not back, it's classified as a mid vowel. I think it's easier to say 'guck' than 'truck,' which has a two-consonant sequence at the beginning anyway.

What Dom's doing is what we all do to a certain extent--looking for 'economical' ways to says words, that is, to make it easier to elide from one sound to the other. We do it as adults: consider 'educational'--do you say 'ed-you-kayshunall' or 'edgeuhkashunall'? If you say it the second way, you have found an easier way to say it, or maybe as some misguided language arts teachers might say, a 'lazy' way.

Maybe this helps a little. Dom is now a laboratory case for first-language acquisition, something I have been teaching for over 25 years!

7:14 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Hmmm, something tells me you know what you're talking about here! This is all new to me, so I'm curious to see what comes next. At least there's a reason Dom's saying things the way he is. He's just being efficient.

Sometimes I feel like I'm translating a foreign language. He'll clear things up soon, though, and then I'll miss the funny things he used to say.

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Learning about Labio-dental fricatives was why I quit HOTEL (history of the english language)

but if the D had been teaching the class i might not have overslept (as often).

chappy

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home