Dominick's Progress Report

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Dom's first sentence

I was changing the sheets on Dom's bed after dinner when he began playing with the bedroom door. He was looking through the keyhole into the room and laughing hysterically. I went over and looked back through at him, which he found hilarious. We did this for a little while, until I went back to finish the bed. Then Dom started a new game: he opened the door, said "I see you!", went back out and closed the door again. He did this several times, but I didn't realize right away what he was saying. (That bed is a pain to make--literally--because of the metal rails.) Once I did, of course, I reacted with excitement, which just made him laugh more and do it again.

Then I remembered that earlier today, Dom said the same thing. What were we doing at the time? He must have been hiding behind something. No matter, he said his first sentence today, which is obviously a big milestone for us.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This has to stop immediately! First Dom was saying single words. Now he's saying a sentence with a subject, a verb, and an object. Doesn't he know he needs to pass through the 2-word stage first? He should have said, "See you!" And on top of that, he's using pronouns, and correctly.

My question is this: is he repeating what he's heard you & Mike say many times in playing peek-a-boo, or is he producing this sentence creatively? You might try varying the topic of sentences to see if he can create more simple 3-word sentences: "I love you", "I want that", "Give me that", etc.

Either way, to produce the sentence, memorized or not, is a great step forward. I can't wait to hear more.

Hey, maybe we could call and you could give him the phone to listen and "talk" to us.

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a couple of quick comments, I finally got the link and read through all the posts:

Thanks Kelly for taking the time to write all this up. It's wonderful that you take the time to let us all know whats going on with the D.

I'm offended by the anti-Ameren nature of some of the early posts.

I think this is all a game of the D, and someday you'll find he's got the Great American Novel hidden under the bottom drawer of his dresser.

I'm a little skeptical of the post where you claim that he said 'missed' as he threw the ball at the hoop. He's Mike's son, you expect me to believe he missed! More likely he hit exactly where he was aiming, and said "missed" just to throw YOU off.

Have you ever considered that he might be holding back linguistically for his soliloquy about his little sister?

chappy.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

In response to your comments, Chappy:

I'm disappointed that it took you so long to catch the anti-Ameren nature of my earlier comments, as they were obviously made for your pleasure! Still, they're timely, as good old Ameren is really ripping us off this time around.

I'd love to read Dom's great novel about applesauce and trains. That would be fascinating.

Good theory about the "isses." Then again, Dom loses interest before shooting 100 in a row like his daddy does, so he hasn't gotten much practice.

And finally...sister? Is that your official guess? You'll just have to wait and see!

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home