Dominick's Progress Report

Monday, April 10, 2006

Progress

It's been a week now since I last posted, and in that time we've had two OT sessions and one speech. Things are going pretty well. Dom continues to improve. He loves swinging and sliding and is getting better at playing with Play-doh. The other day, he was eating applesauce, which of course was all over his chin, and for the first time, he actually wiped it off with his hand! He's never noticed food on his chin before, so this is a good sign. He still tends to overstuff when he eats, so I'm anxious for that to stop. It makes mealtimes stressful.

We started the brushing protocol on Friday. Sometimes he smiles, other times he merely tolerates it or won't keep still because he's playing with something, and other times he really cries like it hurts. Robin said that it could be that his senses are starting to wake up. I just don't want to hurt him. I let him use the brush on me, either before or after, to see if that helps at all. He seems to like the joint compression.

Here is the potentially big news: it seems that Dom might finally be attempting to copy sounds. I was swinging him on Saturday, and he signed "more," so I asked him if he wanted to go higher. Then he said "eye-uh," which is as close as he's ever come to repeating a word. I said it again immediately, and he repeated. Later that night, when I said "higher," he copied again. And today at lunch, I could have sworn he tried to say "potato." It was hard to tell for sure. Maybe these little instances will start happening more often, and before we know it, he'll be talking! I have noticed that he's using more jargon lately. Also, he's been more vocal during his therapy sessions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home